Each year we dedicate a week to education and awareness about mental health. While we, at TranQool, strongly believe mental health week should be every week of the year, we are huge supporters of the efforts toward breaking down the stigma. With it being Mental Health Week we wanted to give you a complete guide of how you can take care of your own mental health, get help, and support others who are struggling.
How To Take Care Of Your Mental Health
If you click through some of the posts on our blog you will notice a trend, we are all about keeping you mentally healthy. Specifically, we are all about giving you simple tips that you can implement daily to keep you feeling like you. You may even notice that there are some tips we repeat over and over because they are so important. Here's a summary of our top tips:
- Get moving! Seriously, exercise is amazing for your mental health and while it is not a cure-all it can help you naturally boost the neurotransmitters responsible for keeping you happy. We know it is tough, so here are a few tips to make it less overwhelming.
- Breathe in, breathe out. Most of us don't breathe correctly and you can't imagine the difference it can make in your stress and anxiety levels! Here a few simple breathing exercises that anyone can implement.
- Be mindful! Most of us don't practice mindfulness and many of us don't even know what being mindful really is. Here is a simple guide for how to make it part of your daily life. We promise it will help!
- Eat well. You really are what you eat, and what you put in your body can really impact your mood. Here are some simple recipes that can help you eat better!
- Practice self-care! Self-care is different for everyone, it could be anything from taking time away from your phone, to cooking a nice meal, or binge watching your favorite show. Whatever self-care works for you, be sure to make it part of your routine!
How To Get Help
While taking care of yourself is important, sometimes we need a little support in building the coping skills that can help us become our strongest selves. This is why it is important to educate yourself and know your options! Here a few helpful articles about what you should know when seeking help:
- This will help you understand the different providers and help you decide which is right for you!
- Mental health is not black and white, there is a spectrum, find out where you lie here.
- There are a lot of misconceptions about mental health, specifically for men. This article should clear a few things up!
- Here are 5 reasons you may want to seek help.
- Every person should know these 10 things before starting therapy!
- There are many different types of therapy. CBT is the most evidence based form of therapy, this article will explain it in simple terms.
How To Support Other's Mental Health
We all want to take care of our friends and family but it can be difficult to know how to support someone in the best possible way. It is really important to remember that you are their friend, not their therapist. Here is how to best support your friends without sacrificing your own mental health!
- Starting the conversation can be hard, these tips will help!
- Once you have started the conversation here is how to check in and be supportive without becoming their therapist!
- Finally, you should never sacrifice your own mental health, here is how to get support for yourself when you are a support person.